Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Virtual Placemaking in Google Earth

For this exercise I chose to map out some of my favorite places I've been to in St. Louis. St. Louis is a major part of my life since my brother lived there since I was eight years old. I included photos with every place mark that I chose from the past two summers combined. I started at the St. Louis Arch including images of my friends and I as well as multiple different perspective views from below and also above. After the Arch the tour goes to Bailey's Range, a restaurant in downtown St. Louis. Right after Bailey's Range, the tour takes you to the City Museum. The City Museum is an incredibly unique museum in that it's not a museum at all, but a massive playground. I included an image of me and my best friend on the roof of this museum where you can ride a huge Farris Wheel. While on the roof you can see all of downtown St. Louis, which you can see in the background of the photo I have with the tour. Inside the museum there is a fun art center, which is just one small section of the inside portion, but of course it's my favorite part. I have a photo included for this part as well. Next, the tour takes us to the Wax Museum where I have a ridiculous photo of me imitating a dinosaur wax sculpture. After the Wax Museum, I included the Art Museum where I have photos of my boyfriend viewing an amazing image drawn by Chuck Close and also my brother and sister-in-law viewing some Van Gogh paintings.  This next place is one of my absolute favorite spots in St. Louis, Sculpture Park. This is a unique park where there are massive sculptures placed all throughout the park. I show a photo of a massive sculpture with my boyfriend standing next to it to show scale. This park is the perfect location to have artsy-farsty events. I have a photo of a fun food truck event we went to at the park this past summer. The last place I have on the tour is the Missouri Botanical Gardens. I took my nephew here multiple times this past summer when I was his nanny. It's just a really fun place to go for all ages.


Here are some screen shots to show the places on the map and also the images that I included in the tour on Google Earth:













No comments:

Post a Comment