Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Seeing the Past in Present Tense

This is the first reading that I actually really enjoyed and feel like I got a lot out of. The main monument that I found the most interesting was the Monument Against Fascism, War and Violence - and for Peace and Human Rights. I liked that people could interact with the monument by signing their name on the monument itself. I also thought it was interesting how over time it slowly descended under ground. While I really like the concept behind this monument, it was disappointing to find out that it was a forgotten monument. When the author of this article went to find this monument, they had to ask multiple people in the town where the monument was since it was already underground. The people of the town didn't even know where it was and some didn't know what they were talking about. I couldn't figure out if that was the point of this monument was to put the fascism, war and violence behind them and in a way "forget", or if it was just an unmemorable monument all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment