Monday, September 15, 2014

Flesh and Metal: Reconfiguring the Mindbody in Virtual Environments

There were a couple of things in this reading that I really found interesting and actually kind of think myself. One thing that N. Katherine Hayles says is that "the body is an abstract concept that is always culturally constructed." I found this so interesting, because for me I always thought a body was simply a body. The idea that the body is "culturally constructed" is a really amazing view point, in my opinion. In my women studies course that I took last year we had a segment where we discussed how the "ideal" image of women have changed. It has gone from women being incredibly thin, to women having curves. Today it seems that women are supposed to look like Barbie dolls, super thin, big chested with a large bum. I would have to say that these "ideals" were definitely "culturally constructed" just as N. Katherine Hayles was saying in her essay.


No comments:

Post a Comment